Orange and Fennel Salad with Hazelnuts and Raisins Recipe
- 1 fennel bulb
- 3 navel oranges
- ¼ cup hazelnuts
- 2 tbsp. raisins
- grated peel and juice of 1 orange
- 1 shallot
- 1½ tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp. hazelnut oil
- pinch of salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Roast hazelnuts in the oven at 350°F for about 10 minutes. Let cool off, then coarsely chop and set aside.
- For the vinaigrette, mince shallot, and combine it with grated orange peel, 4 tablespoons orange juice, balsamic vinegar, and salt. Whisk in the olive and hazelnut oil, add black pepper to taste, and adjust with more vinegar or orange juice if desired.
- Wash fennel and remove the outer leaves, reserving the fronds. Cut in quarters, discard the core, and using a mandoline slice it as thin as possible. Dress with 3 tablespoons of vinaigrette and set aside.
- Peel the oranges, and with a very sharp knife remove the inner skin and the white pit from each one. Cut them in ⅛-inch thick rounds and then in smaller sections if you’d like.
- Set them on a dish with 2 tablespoons of vinaigrette. Layer with raisins, toasted hazelnuts, fennel slices, and remaining dressing.
- Garnish with reserved fennel fronds and serve.
Recipe and photos by Sara Ghedina, Instagram @sara.ghedina_food